2019 CSA Week 8
Hope you all enjoyed the long weekend. We tried to take some extra time off but the beans went on strike and decided to keep growing. We’re gonna bust up the bean union next week though (with a brush mower) and bring in some scabs (2nd planting of beans). As you may have seen on instagram, we gave the wednesday CSA’s some watermelon this week. Unfortunately we don’t have enough to give it to you guys this week, but the next watermelons ready are all yours. Scouts honor.
Just a note about zucchini and kale – we always have a lot but we don’t want to put it in the CSA too often, so don’t be shy to ask for it if you want some This week:
-choice of patty pan squash or beans
Israeli Beet Salad with Onion and Cilantro
3 to 4 large beets
1 bunch of cilantro
1 very small onion
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Clean the beets from the greens and wash well. Chop large beets into chunks. Add the beets to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to keep a rolling boil until the beets soften (might take around 45 minutes).
2. While the beets cook, clean a bunch of cilantro from stems and chop the leaves.
3. Dice or slice a small onion.
4. When the beets are soft remove from the pot and wash in cold water to cool them. Peel and slice or dice.
5. Add beets, onion, and cilantro to a bowl and season with oil, vinegar, cumin, salt, and pepper.
6. Serve right away or store in the fridge for a few days.